Monday, December 10, 2012

Thoughts from my crazy mind


thoughts from my crazy mind:
 I find it incredibly tough to ever turn my mind off these days... constantly thinking about joey, how she's feeling, what the high blood sugars are doing to her little body in the long run, what the low blood sugars can do to her in the short run... what could happen if i ever sleep though my alarms in the middle of the night and miss taking her sugar when she's having a low blood glucose.  what if she doesn't wake up? it's enough to make a momma crazy... then my mind goes to the very real risk that S & C have of also eventually having Type 1 Diabetes... ugh...I know my mom would say that i shouldn't worry, but seriously, how can i not worry.
Joey at the JDRF walk with her "faces of Diabetes" sign...one month after diagnosis

joey with her boyfriends/supporters.  we LOVE us some Jacob and Dylan!
So as I said on my last post I have decided that running the Shamrock Marathon in March is the best way to put all my efforts and energy into raising funds for those with Type 1 Diabetes.  My sweet little Joey girl depends on ground breaking research that the JDRF funds.  Can you believe that less than 85 years ago, those diagnosed with type 1 diabetes died within a year or so... Basically their bodies starved to death because they lacked the functioning beta cells to produce the insulin that moves the glucose into the cells that gives us energy to do anything and everything we do... like breathe.

another day, another run in the triple jogging stroller... we have to bring her whole diabetes kit... glucometer, insulin, glucagon, emergency sugar supplements, snacks, water, carb free snacks, and even more.... everytime we go out the door
Running a marathon is tough work, but fighting every second of every day against the horrible disease of Type 1 diabetes is even more difficult.
Maybe one day she won't have to wake up multiple times at night to have her blood glucose taken, to have to eat food or get insulin...
Maybe one day she'll be able to have a bite to eat without thinking of how many carbs are in it and how much insulin she needs to have in order to counteract the effect of the sugar....
Maybe one day she won't have to have over 10 pricks and shots a day just to keep her alive...
my little thug princess showing off her "full sleeve" of princess tattoos

 but until then, i'll work my butt off to raise all the money i can, all the awareness i can, and all the support i can, because my sweet girl's life depends on it. 

http://jdrfevents.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=15320

Did you know that a sibling of someone with T1D has a 1/10-1/20 chance of developing T1D!  This is up from the 1/400 chance that everyone has...  Think about giving a donation as a Christmas gift, birthday gift, tax free end of the year donation, anything you can think of, because truly, this means EVERYTHING to my family. 
sweet joey so excited to be leaving the hospital after spending 3 days there after her diagnosis with type 1 diabetes

2 comments:

  1. Cheers to you and Joey and your fight for a cure! Look forward to supporting you and JDRF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, cassie! so excited to run this race with you for ibbie and joey!!

      Delete